Thursday, August 5, 2010

Summer Days with a New Baby

Yesterday we went to a park in the morning, the pool in the afternoon and a different park for a picnic dinner in the evening. Love summertime. Kilian is teething right now, big time. He likes to be held facing forward when his gums frustrate him. He sleeps eight hours straight at night now. Sometimes nine.

Not everything is as perfect as it seems. I'm having to let go of a lot these days. The house isn't as clean as I'd like. With the addition of little blankets, bibs, baby clothes, hooded towels and crib sheets, laundry is out of control right now. I find I'm much more at peace when we're out of the house during the day. When home the household demands can overwhelm and I'm too tempted to put movies on in favor of being an attentive mother.

So we go out. Every day. Sometimes all day. Under sunshine among grasses and flowers or sand and warm breezes, we focus on nothing but each other. We talk and laugh and run around and go crazy. At the end of the day my cheeks hurt from smiling and laughing too much. It's wonderful.




12 comments:

Alishia said...

That's good because there's always laundry but there aren't always babies. Cheesy because it's true.

Lucy said...

Kristen, how lovely! Your story is the one thing that keeps reminding me of the joy of a new child while I balk at the stresses and strains of applying to adopt our 3rd child. Enjoy your 3 little ones and the lovely summer.

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

Love the pictures!!!! So glad everyone is doing so well! He's just a doll!

Charlotte (Waltzing Matilda) said...

Awwww! That last pic is so precious! Enjoy your beautiful outside time and leave the laundry cares behind you!

Jeannine said...

You are so right! The more time we spend out and about during the summer, the more smoothly the days go. Your children are beautiful. I love the photo of the three of them together. Three is a harmonious number.

Paula said...

Your kids will remember the time spent with you, not whether they had clean clothes. Enjoy!

Mary said...

Nows the time to be outdoors and take it all in. Enjoy it...the laundry will be there when the sun is gone. He is such a handsome little man. I love the picture of the three of them. So wonderful! Blessings and Grace to you all!

Jeremiah 29:11 said...

Ahhhh.... gorgeous pictures! Your children are so beautiful!

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the precious moments of these summer days.

Our little Tommy has been such a good sleeper also. He has been a gift to us in so many ways!

Amy Caroline said...

I have a little picture on the wall in my little one's room (it has ben in all my kids' rooms when they were babies). I put the poem to music and sing it to my babies every night before their blessing and tucking in.

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
For babies grow up, we've learned to our sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs and dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

The house will be clean someday when they have all grown up, and then we will miss it!

jordin said...

So lovely!!! When i got overwhelmed by laundry during baby months, i would take it to a laundromat and dropped it off, then picked it up later in the day! It was such a relief!

Diane said...

LOVE this perspective, Kristen!

God bless you all.

FloridaWife said...

Hi, Kristin! I have not visited your blog in a long time, and I'm delighted to see that you have a new little baby in your life now. How sweet. He's adorable. I also have a new baby -- Theresa Gianna.