Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Before and After: Bedroom Remodel on a Budget

For those who have been asking for before and after pictures of our bedroom.

Before:
After:

This small-scale redo of our bedroom started a few months back when we learned we would be staying in our home for another year. It was really a long time coming. Most people who've been married as long as we have at least have purchased things as basic as lamps for their bedroom, or had something .... anything hung on their bedroom walls. Right? Well, for the last 13 years our room has had empty walls, insufficient lighting, and a broken and cracked nightstand we picked up before it was thrown away. Curtains are another story. We rent the home we've been occupying for the last five years, and for a long time now I've wanted curtains but couldn't justify buying or making them for a rental home. Every year I thought we'd either buy a home or move into something larger, so I put off window treatments. Now I see how finished they make the room look and wonder why I waited. Patrick and I are proficient at delayed gratification. Even though sometimes it makes me feel unprepared or makes my home feel unfinished, I'm convinced it is a good way to live. We don't fill our desires whenever we want, we try not to have more than we need, and we don't waste. Those things make for a pleasant home regardless how it is decorated.

So, what was changed here? First I'd like to mention that the room is not finished. Finishing requires replacing my pine furniture (or at least painting my current pieces), painting the walls- in Glass Slipper by Benjamin Moore, and adding a lovely bench or settee at the foot of the bed. One day...but like I said, this is a small-scale remodel. The only major purchase for the room here was a new nightstand, which was desperately needed (I'm pretty sure our old one is going to crack in half any day now.) Of the smaller changes, six months ago we finally bought lamps (reading is so much more pleasant!), and new bedding. White bedding is very versatile and you can find it almost anywhere cheap...Target, Home Goods, Marshalls, etc. I used a combination window treatment of standard (not custom - a huge cost saver!) linen roman shades and curtains. I tried just the shades, then just the curtains and somehow neither really worked, but together they really pull the room together. A tip for curtains....full length, i.e. from ceiling to floor, makes a room look bigger and more finished. I picked up the botanicals at art.com for $8 each and had them framed at a wholesaler locally.

A tip for hiding electronics and their cords besides artwork? Baskets. I picked up a set of three of these small, medium and large baskets at Home Goods for $12. Baskets are wonderful because you can string your cords through the basket weaves and behind, making them invisible.

They're also great for storing other miscellaneous items one might have strewn across her dresser (baby socks, allen wrenches, candy, you know...that sort of thing).

I still have to finish the artwork for the wall opposite our bed. I'm still practicing on small canvases and my last attempt was....em....not so pretty. Finally, Patrick and I have been antique/consignment shopping for a large, old, worn crucifix for the final wall. I know what I want in my head but can't seem to find it anywhere. Which, as my husband would say, means I'll probably end up making it. :)

Finally, everything in the room was either on clearance, purchased at wholesale, or free. If anyone would like source detail on anything here, let me know. It was all very affordable.

32 comments:

Alishia said...

I love it. Just making the bed would make my bedroom seem so much more decorated.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristin, I totally subscribe to your philosophy of living. Almost everything we have in our home has come from my mother's excess or family heirlooms she has saved for me... The other source is my mother-in-law, who has impeccable taste, is absolutely obsessed with decorating, and does NOT subscribe to the deferred gratification philosophy of living :) Fortunately, the entire family is partial to an Old World classical style, so what I have cobbled together reflects my taste, is part of family legacy and is very satisfying. Another advantage of not acquiring with abandon is that you are not overwhelmed with impending projects and can devote some time and effort into making/fixing/getting what you like--exactly as YOU have shown us in such an exemplary way on your blog. Your room looks beautiful and peaceful... (But, I have to confess, that by far my favorite of your newly-acquired accessories is that adorable grinning baby of yours...everything else fades into the background I'm afraid, when you put him in the picture!) --J.C.

Thankful said...

This is so impressive! Your "before" looked so good that the "after" just wowed me. You certainly have a knack for making a space come together (and on a budget!).

Julie said...

What a beautiful, peaceful bedroom! We have lived in our home for about 14 years now and we just recently hung curtains in our bedroom, too. I love the look of your curtains with roman shades... and the white bedding is gorgeous!

E Caughron said...

Absolutely gorgeous. It looks so inviting to take a calm nap. Impeccable taste and a good reminder about the deferred gratification. i am afraid that is a huge impediment for my entrance to heaven....

Grace in my Heart said...

You did a beautiful job! I love your color choices- very calming. Love it! And I don't know what I'd do without HomeGoods and Marshalls- best stores ever for budget decorating! Do you all have Garden Ridge? That's another one of my favorites. Enjoy reading in there- I don't think I'd ever want to come out!

Mary said...

It looks beautiful Kristin. You may have answered this already but I will ask anyway. The lovely blue pillows on the bed. Where did you get them from? Also the pillow cases? I love the edging.

Jacinthe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacinthe said...

I agree with you all, ladies! Kristen, your "new" bedroom is so beautiful and peaceful!

Mrs. Mike said...

Beautiful! I don't know why I didn't think of the basket idea for the electronics. Brilliant!

Kristin said...

Very nice. I enjoy reading your posts about family and home. Suggestion: Ebay is a place to find some inexpensive neat crucifixes. Or you can make the cross yourself and order a new corpus or take one from another crucifix to put on the cross you make.

Kristen Laurence said...

Mary, the euro shams are the "Rosa Embroidered" from Pottery Barn and are still available. The coral embroidered pillow, also PB, is no longer available on their website, but I did find it on eBay. Just type, "Pottery Barn coral pillow" and you will see it. :)

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

And that's why you're my muse! :)Love the basket idea and your new look is so fresh, crisp and peaceful!

Anonymous said...

The room looks lovely! Could you please tell me where you got the curtains. I am having a hard time finding long curtains (on a tight budget!) that are not tab-top. Thank you! CSR

Ouiz said...

You have such a gift for decorating! The pictures of your girls' room... the Mary plaques... your room... you do a great job with all of it.

Beautiful!

Stitching Life said...

Love it all, very pretty !

Erin said...

LOVE THIS!!! The colors are so serene and pretty now! I just want to jump in that bed, it looks so comfy. Those coastal prints are great too. And the basket idea is genius...what a way to hide cords!

Mary said...

Thanks Kristin! I found a similar pattern for the pillow that I can applique, so I can make something similar in the colors I need. I just love the lines of it. I will check out the PB site and Ebay.

Kristen Laurence said...

CSR, the curtains are the Peyton linen/cotton drapes from PB. They're almost always on sale, and you can't beat the quality (perfect weight, fully lined) for the price. I couldn't buy fabric yardage alone for less than these cost!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kristen,

I have a couple of questions about your bedroom! First, where did you get the comforter and is it white or a light blue (it kind of looks light blue on my screen), and the roman shades, where did you find them? One last question, do you know what color your bedroom is? It looks like maybe a gray? Really pretty!

Beautiful room!

Beautiful family, too! Congrats on the new baby!

Thanks so much!

Maura

Michelle said...

Over our various moves, I have acquired a selection of standard curtains - some are mere valances, some are full length (I found two sets on closeout that were a full 8 feet long) - and decorative rods. Between the curtains and the area rugs (which I will put on top of wall to wall carpeting if that's what we have), I feel that our home is "complete" when I have these textiles in place. If we ever go overseas, I will leave these things behind, and I will miss them terribly. They truly add warmth and color and personality to my home. I say this to encourage you to not let renting a home deter you from getting curtains.

Kristen Laurence said...

Maura, the linen duvet cover is from PB, and the roman shades (Belgian linen) are from Restoration Hardware Baby & Child. They are such a steal right now at 75% off. The duvet is white and the wall color is a standard cream (it was painted this shade when we moved in). If I were to paint the room I would use either Winter Wheat or Glass Slipper, both Benjamin Moore paints.

Karena said...

Kristin, adore the Botanicals!! Perfect behind your bed!

I am posting pink today!

Karena
Art by Karena

Lisa, An American Mom said...

I am in love with your bedroom!! Nicely done - thanks for sharing. Now I have some new inspiration for my bedroom. :)

pk @ Room Remix said...

Hi Kristen! I'm so glad that you commented on my blog so I could have a chance to see your beautiful bedroom makeover! I would love to do a post highlighting your transformation - please let me know if that's okay.

Also, I'm doing a little research on your question about corner rods and I'm going to do a post on it, so stay tuned. As far as the fireplace window situation, I'm not sure if that's the same window as the corner situation or a different one - are there windows on both sides? Can you just put a side panel on the outside of each window? So for example, if you're looking at a fireplace straight on you would do a left side panel on the left side and a right one on the right side - does that make any sense? :-) You can reach me at roomremixmn(at)qwest(dot)net.

Shannon said...

What a difference!!!
Shannon
www.akadesign.ca

Tracy Suzanne said...

Hi Kristen. I just found your blog highlighted over at PK's Room Remix. Wow, you're bedroom turned out beautiful. You did a wonderful job pulling it all together. Love that bedside table and the lamps. You painting on the table is gorgeous and what a great idea to hide the phone. I love the coral which I have been wanting forever. Where did you find yours?

Thanks for sharing the makeover with us. The combination shades and drapes really do finish it perfectly. I'm looking forward to following your blog and getting to know you.

Hugs....Tracy :)

Decorating the Ville said...

This room is beautiful! It looks so serene and peaceful. Even if you don't change the other things, it is a beautiful room! And way to go on the delayed gratification thing - I have some lessons to learn in that department still. Thanks for sharing.

Decorating the Ville said...

This room is beautiful! It looks so serene and peaceful. Even if you don't change the other things, it is a beautiful room! And way to go on the delayed gratification thing - I have some lessons to learn in that department still. Thanks for sharing.

Rene said...

Hi Kristen. I just found you through PK and love your transformation. I know you have plans to do more, but it looks gorgeous as is. I apologize if you have already answered this question b/c I couldn't find it anywhere in the post, but did you list a source for the lamps? Love those.

-Rene

Anonymous said...

This is so, so lovely. I am very much in the same situation -- long term renter, always delaying purchases for The Big Move, living with a hodge podge of temporary furniture. You have really opened my eyes to what is possible! Thank you!

Kristen Laurence said...

Tracy, I bought the coral from Pottery Barn, but I know you can find them in many gift shops, interior design shops, etc.

Rene, the lamp base is the Salerno Urn from Ballard. The shade is from PB.