Friday, July 23, 2010

Cross Embroidery, Modern Art and a Sleeping Baby

For those who asked about the hard-to-see thing on our baptismal gown, yes, it's an embroidered cross. The gown isn't a family heirloom. My mother had it made for me by a lovely woman in Pennsylvania when we were expecting our first baby. I tried hard to find her website, but it is no longer on the web. She must have gone out of business. That's too bad, but I know Cheryl could easily whip one of these out for anyone who's looking for a special, hand embroidered christening dress.



A while back I mentioned doing a mini re-decorating of our bedroom, to make it more summery. It was red and beige and heavy before, and now it's blue and white in light cotton and linen (I love the casual wrinkles of linen). The room now feels cool and breezy and calm and we've been enjoying it all summer.





But the room needs some artwork. We have almost all religious artwork in the house, all of it traditional. So I want to fill the huge empty wall opposite our bed with something more contemporary - a large canvas of pale greys and blues and greens.

Given that we can't afford the several-thousand-dollar canvases we saw last weekend at a local art festival (and I probably wouldn't spend my money that way even if I could), I thought I'd give it a try myself on a small canvas.



Now, don't laugh. I admit it's not good art. OK, it's not even art. I see all the brush mistakes and I know I didn't coat it with gesso before painting. But for a first try it was certainly fun, and affordable! I'm thinking with a little more practice I should be able to achieve a canvas suitable for the bedroom. It will be much softer, and more gray than the turquoisey one above. I'll keep you posted on how it goes, so long as you don't ask me where I get these crazy ideas!

Last, but not least, the gratuitous baby picture:



16 comments:

Mary said...

Love the new room. That light blue pillow is gorgeous! I can't wait to see where you go with the canvas. You never cease to amaze me with your ingenuity and creativity. Kilian is still as handsome and sweet as ever!

Michelle A. said...

Kristen, I think you should stick with traditional art. It is much more beautiful and seems more your style.

Paula said...

Your room looks so calm and crisp. Love it!

scmom (Barbara) said...

Some of that textured fabric, like your pillow, would also be beautiful framed. Maybe a collection of same size/shape frames with similar colors but differently-styled fabric.

Jennifer said...

Kristen, he is so beautiful. Your artwork is beautiful too. It looks very soothing. I love the clean modern look of your bedroom.

Cheryl M. said...

Kristen, you are too sweet. :) Your blue/white bedroom looks lovely. And that baby boy is simply adorable!! Give him a smooch from me. :)

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

YOU. ARE. SO. GOOD.

Can you come to my house???

Kristen Laurence said...

Michelle, I couldn't agree more about the beauty of traditional artwork - which is why it is all I have in the house now. Religious art is by far my favorite. In fact, generally I'm not fond of modern art much. But in this case our bedroom really does need just a big canvas of soft colors, to tie it in with the room's coastal, summery theme and cover a large empty space.

BTW Everyone, the bed linens and coral on the nightstand (I know, ridiculous, but why not?) are all on clearance at Pottery Barn right now! :)

I love that idea, Barbara.

Hannah said...

You might have better luck with the lighter colors on the top, and the heavier colors on the bottom. Have fun, though, and if you like it the way it is, terrific!

Amy Caroline said...

Oh so pretty! And I love your artwork, the colors remind me of the ocean or a beautiful sky. I wouldn't mind looking at that every time I wake up!

Stitching Life said...

I love your summer bedroom. I was thinking this free quilt pattern could be made into a wall hanging and would go perfect! Saw it today and thought of your post about the pictures, which look great!
Love the baby pics, so cute!
http://blog.fabshophop.com/blog/?p=2889

Kristen Laurence said...

Hannah, that's a great suggestion. I think you're right. (Don't worry, it will look entirely different when it's finished. Now I'm just getting used to working with the paints and tools.)

annechovie said...

Your room looks so fresh and summery and your baby is precious!

rebekka said...

I think it's really quite beautiful! I love how it just hints at the sand and sea.


-rebekka

Mary said...

Hello! I have never commented on your incredible blog before but am a long time reader and I love the things you write about. I love how you mix in our catholic faith/ponderings/struggles that we all share and then a little bit of your home "nesting" creativity. (: The Madonna and child project was so beautiful. Your children are precious- thank you for this inspiring special blog. When I saw that you had Kilian in the long baptismal gown, I smiled- I have 3 boys and 2 girls (in that order) and a very special aunt made me a long gown for all of my children to wear. She embroidered the detailing on the front and then on the slip she embroidered the trinity rings intertwined with our last name initial under that. It's white on white and beautiful. Anyway-I am getting to a point for you! After the birth of each child I embroidered very simply and small the child's initials and the date of their baptism on the edge of the slip (very pale blue for the boys and pale pink for the girls) I hope they will want their own children to wear it someday. (: I guess i should also tell you that for the last child born I spent the night before the baptism embroidering her sister's initials/date on it- I had never gotten around to it until then! (:
Kristen- thank you again for sharing with us- I "found" you through Elizabeth Foss.
Have a wonderful weekend and may God bless and keep you and your family always!
Mary

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

You inspired me. I posted before and after pics of my room today- and included a link to this post which inspired me!!! :)

AND CONGRATS on being one of a handful of blogs that Jen @ Conversion Diary has linked to! She cut her list WAAAAAYYYYYYYY back, but you're on it! ROCKSTAR!!