Did you hear all the wonderful baby news swirling around the blogosphere this week? What a fabulous Easter! We're thrilled for Rachel and Charlotte! Congrats to both of you ladies!
All right, so I promised more details on our upcoming adoption. This information might be a little dry as it's mostly fact stuff, so sorry about that.
First and for prayer's sake, our birthmother's name is Amanda. As you can imagine she is on our minds and in our prayers constantly. We would be grateful if you would include her in your prayers with us.
Yes, it's a boy! We're positively thrilled, and my husband can't wait for soccer season and football practice. (One of his criteria for choosing a name is whether it will sound good on the football field. Okay, he's partly kidding. But partly not. :)
The baby's due date is May 6th. He will be born in a little town outside Atlanta, Georgia. We hope to book our flights soon, but picking a date to fly is tricky, not knowing whether he will be early, late or right on time. We'll likely just book a date around the 6th and then change our tickets when it looks like Amanda is going into labor. We have to remain in GA for 7-10 days after birth for interstate compact to go through (legal stuff that allows us to take our son out of state). We are very fortunate to be staying with my aunt and uncle who live in Peachtree City, just an hour from the hospital. (On a side note, I was so thrilled when I learned we were going to Georgia. I've wanted to travel there for years to visit the natural beauty I've always imagined and the period architecture surrounding Atlanta and in Savannah.) I doubt I'll be thinking of these things while there, of course. :)
Amanda has asked that this be a closed adoption. Though she knows us from our pictures and what she read in our profile and Dear Birthmother letter, we will never meet her. She does want us to be in the hospital when the baby is born so we can hold him right away, but we will likely be on a different floor. We have mixed feelings about closed vs. open adoptions. We've done both and we have a preference, but I'll explain more of that later.
Our little boy is 1/8 American Indian. We're waiting on written permission from Amanda's tribe to adopt him. We anticipate this to go smoothly as the tribe gave verbal consent, but please keep this in your prayers.
Our caseworker keeps us posted on Amanda's progress. She has not had any contractions yet, but of course this will all change sooner than we imagine. Patrick and I remain in awe of these birthmothers and the sacrifice they make for the good of their babies. Since the first link we had back in November that didn't work out, we've had two more fall through. This adoption looks very good and for various reasons we feel confident that we'll have a baby in our arms in the end. But should Amanda change her mind I know I'll be as grateful and as at peace as I am now. I know I can only do what is possible and God takes care of the rest.
A friend recently encouraged me not to get my hopes up or get too excited in case this falls through. She said she is remaining cautious to protect my feelings. I can't live that way. I'd much rather be happy now and then disappointed later, than to be filled with anxiety before disappointment. I'd rather enjoy the hope of now while in the now. So I'm hoping. I'm excited. I can't wait to hold my new baby and feed him and cuddle all day long and put on his handsome dude outfit! We're all excited here. So don't be afraid to be excited with us, even if it means disappointment later.