Friday, May 22, 2009

Change

This whole "age of reason" thing is swooping Gianna up like a big tidal wave, overtaking every part of her. All of a sudden she's forming syllogisms on a daily basis, her vocabulary has soared to a new level, she shed the training wheels on her bike and has her first loose tooth.

All at once. Too fast, too fast.

Her new argumentative approach is kind of funny though. For instance, when I told her I was the parent and not the child she retorted, "But you ARE a child....a child of God." Or when I remarked that peanut butter is not a treat she argued, "It's a treat for people in third world countries."

Yes it is, sweetheart.

I knew this change was coming, but no one told me it comes all at once. I feel like her former little self is drifting away at sea and a new child is emerging from the water. A rebirth of sorts. It's sad and scary and happy and beautiful all at once.

9 comments:

Cheryl M. said...

Too cute!! :)))

Jennifer said...

I understand exactly what you mean. I felt like that too when my daughter turned 7. It was a *very* hard year for me emotionally. But on the other side of things now, I love this age. I'm enjoying my children more than ever.

Ellen said...

And it's just the tip of the ice berg.

How clever of her to have such wonderfully true answers, ones we wouldn't think of...

Kimberlee said...

Amen. ((hugs))

momof2boyz said...

Enjoy the changes! As adorable as our children are when they are little, the joy they bring as they grow is an even greater blessing. ( I am speaking as the mom of 2 boys, ages 11 and 13.) As for questions and arguing, I understand.... I have been told that my younger son will make a fine lawyer.

Mary said...

I remember that season in my life well. I still laugh when I think of some of the things my son would argu about. Now he has returned home from his freshmen year in college and is still pushing the limits. Oh I wish it were for a second helping of ice cream instead of car keys and later curfews.
Enjoy this time, it goes by so quickly.

Theresa said...

It's magical and horrible all at once, isn't it?

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

My husband and I really enjoyed her new arguments. :)

Lerin said...

I feel the same way about my Madeleine Sophie. It is amazing how they suddenly and irreversibly turn that corner!