Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Fun Easter Egg Decorating

I got this idea from the current Living issue. I almost never peruse Martha's magazine, but every once in a while one of her ideas jumps out at me. The decoupage eggs, displayed on April's cover, did just that.

All you need is a bottle of Mod Podge or decoupage glue found at any craft store, eggs, a small craft brush and whatever paper designs you'd like to decorate your eggs with. So long as your paper is no heavier than construction weight, you should be fine. I found napkins the easiest to work with - by using only the top printed layer of the paper they become feather light, making it easy to mold around the egg shape.

napkin eggs

So simple for the children. Just cut and glue. As you can see below, napkin images don't have to be fussy-cut to look pretty. Gianna made these as an Easter gift for her dear cousin and best friend, with whom she'll spend the holiday.

We also decorated a number of eggs with Easter-themed religious images, found online.

Simple and fun. You can hollow your eggs the night before cutting and gluing, making the project even simpler. And they make a lovely Easter gift for anyone, I'd say.

15 comments:

Jennifer said...

These are some of the most beautiful eggs I've ever seen!

Suzanne Temple said...

Gorgeous!

Blair said...

Beautiful! I'm wondering if I could use a different type of egg-wooden maybe? I know my kids would crack real eggs.

Aniki said...

WOW!

Michele Quigley said...

We were planning on the very same thing this week! I too saw this idea in MSL (which is sent to me now instead of Mary Englebright's Home Companion which went out of business).

I love how your eggs turned out! I was thinking of printing off some images on tissue paper and seeing how that works --I'll let you know.

Kristen said...

Thanks ladies, and thank you, Anon. I changed the link. Following this new link, I utilized the one-hole method. I used a sewing pin for piercing (pierced about 6 times to get a decent size hole), my husband's basketball pump for blowing and an insulin syringe for cleaning the inside of the eggshell. The first few eggs took me five minutes each (I was being extra-careful), but after that it only took about a minute per egg.

Lovely, Michele. Tissue paper should work well. The lighter the paper the smoother the designs will adhere. Post photos when you're done!

sarah said...

everything you do turns out so beautifully. :-)

Anonymous said...

I can hardly wait to see them in person. Love Grandma

Michele Quigley said...

Ah, basketball pump and insulin syringe --great idea! I can do that! ;-)

Jeannine said...

Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing! I have been looking for a simple but different Easter egg idea. As usual, you are a blessing, Kristen!

Roo's Mommy said...

Oh my gosh! What beautiful eggs! You are amazing!

Erin said...

I was just flipping through that issue yesterday at Target.. your eggs turned out beautiful and I love the idea of using printed napkins! Might have to make a trip to the craft store today for some new Mod podge. :)

+JMJ+ said...

I like Blair's idea of a wooden egg so that these gorgeous images would be sturdy enough to last forever.

The Holy images are eggsceptional! ;)

I wonder if you could use wooden eggs and saint holy cards. (Could you soak them in something to make them more pliable?) It would be fun to *hide* those eggs. If you had an idea of which saints you had hidden, you'd know who still needs to be found!

Joannof10 said...

This are absolutely beautiful....hopefully I will remember these for next year!

Elisa said...

Great idea! Mod Podge is awesome...it makes everything prettier! I just came over from Faith & Family Live.

TO BLAIR: I think you COULD use wooden eggs. Mod Podge works an all surfaces, as far as I know.