My father is the Director of Holy Rosary Academy, a private Catholic K-12 school in Anchorage, Alaska. The school provides a faith-based Classical education to more than a hundred local students, but they are looking at the possibility of expanding their high-school program to live, on-line classes for students nationwide. In an effort to gauge interest in such a program, the school is conducting a short four-question survey. Naturally I offered to publish the survey here to help my dad get as much feedback as possible. I would very much appreciate a few minutes of your time to answer the questions below.
Now, about the rules and the prize! Just answer the four questions below in the combox to this post by Wednesday at midnight, Pacific time. Anonymous responses are accepted. Please answer honestly as the purpose here is to gauge real interest in such a program or lack thereof. All responders will be entered in a random number-generated drawing Thursday morning, and the winner will receive $100. Fun! My dad already knows what I think, and I'm family, so I'm not eligible. :( But you are, so have fun, and good luck!
Based on the following assumptions please answer the questions that follow.
1. A Top 50 Catholic High School [National Catholic High School Honor Roll School]. * improves the student’s chances of admission to the college of their choice and the possibility of getting good scholarships substantially increases (particularly at good Catholic colleges).
2. Unparalleled Faculty: All tutors with Master’s Degrees or better [most PhDs] with extensive teaching experience.
3. 100% of faculty are serious practicing Catholics who have signed both an Oath of Fidelity to the Church Magisterium & a Profession of Faith.
4. Classical Liberal Curriculum: Primary texts –not text books, Socratic Methodology, Seminar versus Lecture.
5. Three Levels of On-Line Education and Costs:
Level I Education: Students enroll in school On-Line no later 30 days prior to the beginning of the semester. All texts are mailed book rate to the Level I students. Full Level I access to the school’s Server is given to the enrolled student in addition to a faculty tutor. All courses are made available and taken at the students pace and according to the student’s time schedule. Annual Tuition $1,000 + fees
Level II Education: All of the level I services plus access to all classes on line in real time as they occur. Class participation can occur through on-line chat with the tutor’s assistant who determines whether a question from the on-line student should be brought forth to the whole class by the tutor’s assistant. Annual Tuition $2,500 + fees
Level III Education: All Level II services plus live admission to class where the student can fully participate and interact with both the other students and the tutor. Level III is limited by class size to a number not greater than 25 per class including the on-site students. Annual Tuition $6,000 + fees
1. My view is best described as:
____A. I would have a definite interest in enrolling my child or children in [please indicate] Level I, Level II, or Level III education as listed above.
____B. I am potentially interested in [please indicate] Level I, Level II, or Level III education as listed above but would need more information.
____C. I do not have high school students at this time but would be interested in [please indicate] Level I, Level II, or Level III as my children become of high school age in the future.
____D. I have no interest at this time.
2. For the education described above the tuition levels shown above are:
___ A. Just about right
___ B. A bargain
___ C. Too expensive
3. My children are currently:
____A. Being home-schooled
____B. Are in public school
____C. Are in a Catholic School
____D. Are in a Private Non-Catholic School
4. I am the mother / father of ____ children, ____ of whom are school age.
* As determined by the Acton Institute’s National Catholic High School Honor Roll. http://www.chshonor.org/