Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Saint Joseph Novena

The solemnity of Saint Joseph is celebrated on March 19th. If you are planning to pray a novena to our beloved Patron of the Universal Church, of Fathers, of Families, of Labor, of a Happy Death, etc. - today or tomorrow would be the day to begin (depending on whether you like your novenas to end on the feast day or the day before).

In the words of Saint Teresa of Avila in her plea for the faithful to pray to our Holy Patriarch:

"Would that I could persuade all men to be devoted to this glorious Saint, for I know by long experience what blessings he can obtain for us from God. I have never known anyone who was truly devoted to him and honored him by particular services who did not advance greatly in virtue: for he helps in a special way those souls who commend themselves to him. It is now very many years since I began asking him for something on his feast, and I have always received it. If the petition was in any way amiss, he rectified it for my greater good....I ask for the love of God that he who does not believe me will make the trial for himself - then he will find out by experience the great good that results form commending oneself to this glorious Patriarch and in being devoted to him..." --Autobiography, VI, 11-12

This beloved saint has aided our family in too many instances to count. He is a powerful intercessor indeed. (I have a new story to share, which I hinted at last year but never explained. I'll do my best to post it today or tomorrow.) I encourage anyone who visits here today to begin a special novena to the foster father of Our Lord. Then spread the word. Share with others, either on your blog, with friends and family, or in the comments section here, how St. Joseph has interceded for you. The only way I can think to repay (however inadequately) such a saint is to spread devotion to him.

You can find a variety of beautiful novenas to our beloved patron here. I will have a short novena prayer to St. Joseph on my sidebar beginning today until his Solemnity on March 19th.

Saint Joseph, Foster Father of Jesus, pray for us!

6 comments:

Margaret said...

Thank you for posting this lovely novena. St. Joseph sounds like the perfect intercessor for our family at this time!

Jennifer said...

Thank you for the reminder Kristen! I am horrible about dates.

Anonymous said...

Et Tu is a favorite and I now read Small Treasures because she referenced a post of yours.

Thanks for the St. Joseph novena. I'm a St. Jude person but will use the St. Joseph also.

Anonymous said...

St. Joseph is a favorite of mine. My husband and I have prayed a 30 day novena to him before the birth of our last four children. He has been fantastic in answering those prayers. I highly recommend this practice.

Anonymous said...

I am ready to tell anyone of the powerful intercessor of St Joseph. After all, God trusted him to take care of the Holy Mother and Child here on earth! I said many novenas to St Joe in 2008. Last year, we lived in 3 different states and my husband went thru two jobs (after being at the same firm for 14 yrs) Also,we had a miscarriage in Jan but discovered we were pregnant again in May-WHEW!. He interceded for us (probably more than we know!) and now we are happily settled with a beautiful, healthy baby boy! Thanks for the reminder! Like the other Jennifer here, I am horrible with dates (of course it could be due to lack of sleep!).
God Bless, Jennifer

Jeannine said...

Kristen, I do hope you will share your story with us. When I think of you, I do pray for you regarding the heavier burden you mentioned so long ago. You always help to strengthen my faith.