Sunday, December 2, 2007

Cupcakes and First Sundays of Advent....

~

....go remarkably well together, wouldn't you say?

Small Treasures is one year old today. That's right, today's mark of the beginning of Advent is also my blogiversary! It's hard to believe a whole year has gone by since my very first post (and my, have the girls grown since then! Where was Madeleine's hair? Why did I post such a serious picture?).

I don't have any grand re-chronicling of memorable posts planned in today's honor. I'd just like to thank each and every one of you, my readers, for your visits, your encouraging comments and your support.

You know, when I started this blog I didn't do it for myself. I had no goals of getting published, receiving affirmation or conversing with adults to get a break from little ones in this house. Small Treasures was begun largely because I felt I had something to offer a larger community. I am an ordinary person. I don't possess extraordinary talents of any kind, whether crafting or cooking or writing. But when I apply myself to a task I can usually pull it off with some degree of grace and beauty. I am very happy and comfortable being ordinary. I don't want to be extraordinary at anything, with the exception of nearing closer to God, but even then I want to do it through an ordinary way of life.

That being said, I know what my gifts are. I know what I have to offer others. It isn't writing or reasoning or singing or cooking. It isn't even exceptional motherhood. I am good at all of those things - not exceptional, but good. Through Small Treasures I wanted to contribute something I thought might be useful to others: the gift of perspective. The gift of seeing the good in life all around us, yes, the "small treasures". They are abundant. They're everywhere. They're in our children, certainly. They're in our husbands, for sure. They're in every bud that blossoms outside a kitchen window and every seed that bears fruit in a backyard. Treasure can be found in suffering too. The ability to be closer to Christ on the cross only comes when we have a cross of our own. Now that's a treasure, only not a small one. When we endure some struggle the strength of a marriage and the compassion of family and friends inevitably manifest themselves. Lots of treasure there.

This post is going in a different direction than I intended. I was supposed to write a short paragraph and hit "Publish". Now I'm rambling. The point is, this blog was created, among other reasons, to offer a perspective of contentedness for the spots in life given us, and deep gratitude for the "small treasures" set before us which are often overlooked. Having been particularly graced with contentment and a positive outlook on life - gifts not acquired but wholly received - I hoped to spread those graces as far and wide as possible, and the blogosphere seemed a perfect medium. If this blog has been helpful in some way to even one of its readers, I'm happy.

As far as my original motivation of not blogging for myself? I have benefitted far more from this blog than I ever thought possible - the relationships, the prayers, the examples of good mothering, the kind comments - much more than I deserve. And once in a while I indulge myself in the hope that perhaps a young birthmother, looking for a nice Catholic couple will find something she likes here, and drop me an email. So, you see, this endeavor is not entirely selfless. :)

Have a blessed and peaceful Advent season, everyone!

21 comments:

Jeannine said...

Beautiful post! And I do come here to read your thoughts so I may gain perspective. You have a beautifully positive outlook, and I can't help but come away from your blog feeling a little more positive myself! Congratulations and thank you for sharing. It is very selfless to devote time to a blog so that others may gain something. God bless you, Kristen!

Ouiz said...

Happy First Blogiversary!

I love reading your blog -- I think you communicate very well the attitude of contentment and enjoying the simple pleasures of daily life, while reminding us all that this life is not all there is.

I tend to be a worrier, so I need to focus on things that are noble, pure, peaceful, and calm... Thank you for writing inspirational posts that remind me to keep my mind where it needs to be!

Cheryl M. said...

Kristen, your beautiful blog is simply a reflection of you! Happy Blogiversary...now pass me a cupcake! :)

Love2Learn Mom said...

Happy Blogiversary! I'm so glad you decided to start blogging (and I can't believe it's only a year ago - it feels like I've known you a lot longer than that!).

God Bless!!!

Alicia

Michelle said...

I think your blog is accomplishing its goals. Happy blogiversary!

shivaun said...

Kristen,
Thank you for your BEAUTIFUL and LOVELY blog :)
You inspire me.
Happy 1st Blogiversary!!!

Frances said...

Happy Blogiversary! You have shared many beautiful thoughts with us, Kristen - thank you. One of my favorites is the post with the bandaid on the beautiful rosary and Madeleine's quote: ""Aw bettew, Jesus." I keep that one in my Bloglines for a constant reminder to approach Christ with childlike love.

Jennifer said...

I think you are quite an extraordinary writer - and a gracious and charming person as well. Your posts bring light and joy in our day.

Margaret in Minnesota said...

Kristen, your blog is no small treasure! (Hey, if I can't be corny on the occasion of your first blogiversary, when can I be? Never? Oh, come on!)

Has it already been one year? Of course it has, for it seems as though I've known you forever.

And while I love each & every visit to this truly beautiful blog of yours, I cannot WAIT for the day that we meet in person.

With love to all the Lawrences on this happy occasion,

Margaret

Carmen L. said...

Happy anniversary Kristen! I've really enjoyed your blog so much. There is so much joy here. -Carmen

Margaret said...

Kristen, I've been reading your blog for a couple of months and I've never commented before, but I just thought I'd say that this post really does summarize what you do here- offer a perspective on everyday things that is truly calm and peaceful. I've really enjoyed reading! Happy blogiversary!

Beth said...

Kristen, I really enjoy reading your blog - thanks for writing it!

Mrs Pea said...

Dear Kristen, your blog was one of those that the Lord used to draw me to the Church, and I am so grateful. I love the love that shines through from every post. Here's to many more!

Julie said...

Happy One Year! I feel blessed to have found your blog... and you are definitely sharing your gift of perspective! I love your peaceful and content outlook on life along with your joy and gratitude at being a wife and mother! I'm praying a young birthmother finds her way to your beautiful family!

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Kristen, I read your blog so that I can get a dose of contentment and a reminder to adjust my attitude. :) Those things do not come easily to me, and it is helpful to read your words for the reminders to change my perspective.

stephanie said...

Happy blogiversary. Thank you for all the beautiful things you've shared with us this year!

scmom (Barbara) said...

God bless you, today and always!

Diane said...

A beautiful post, Kristen. If this is rambling, then please, ramble away. You have greatly succeeded in reaching your goal and sharing your sweet, uplifting perspective with us who come here. This is one of my favorite places to visit. Truly.

I will pray for that birthmother to find you, however our Lord has designed your meeting. He does work in mysterious ways. May He continue to bless your beautiful family.

Nina said...

Your grace shines through in every post. Happy One Year! I would love to read more about how you manage to raise such lovely girls. Do you think it is your contentment and positive attitude that they reflect?

You are so much more than ordinary! I will say a pray that a young Catholic girl finds you. Wouldn't that be awesome? :)

Alice Gunther said...

Kristen, you and this blog are both beautiful in every way! You have given tremendously to all of you and are a priceless treasure to all of us!

Angie said...

Congratulations on your 1st blog anniversary! Your blog is a wonderful blessing!

(We apparently started our blogs very close to one another -- my 1 year anniversary will be on the 14th!)