Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I'll Take a Picky Eater Any Day

Gianna is a finicky eater. It isn't that she won't eat typically child-despised fare like fish or spicy foods - I can understand that. No, this four-and-a half year old only recently started liking pizza and.....hamburgers. Last month she enjoyed raspberries for the very first time. She loves plain whole wheat bread for snacks. Pasta with a hint of butter but not a sprinkle of Parmesan. Most kids love dipping foods - fries in ketchup, celery in ranch dressing, chicken nuggets in honey-mustard sauce. Not Gianna. No dips, no sauces, no flavor.

Madeliene eats everything. All the regular kid-friendly fare for sure. But she prefers food with a little more flair - shrimp scampi, sauteed mushrooms with garlic, all kinds of seafood, beef, lamb and chicken. And asparagus. (What two year old likes asparagus?) Recently we ate grilled chicken with a very tangy and garlicky lemon-pepper sauce. She was relentless - "Mo sauce, mo sauce!" Madeleine has a unique taste for raw onions, radishes, fresh parsley, and more raw onions. She's been known to throw a clove of garlic in her applesauce.

Mealtime is always interesting in this household. I go with the flow. I figure they'll grow out of it at some point, so for now I'll pick bigger battles.

Like.....Madeleine drinking my entire cup of coffee this morning while I was busy hanging a picture on the wall. (Insert image of normally calm mother chasing highly caffeinated toddler all afternoon.) Now that's a battle worth picking!

11 comments:

The Bookworm said...

Oh dear, it certainly is! What a picture!

Jessica said...

:) I have one toddler who despises even ketchup, and another who will dip in ANYTHING, including hot salsa! It's so funny how they can be so different.

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica

Flighty Girl said...

I've lurked here for a bit and thought I would finally say "hi". I love your blog, and the image of your 2-year-old hopped up on coffee made me laugh out loud. Hopefully she winds down soon ;)
Kelly

Beck said...

Eep!
My oldest is VERY picky and my middle one is a bottomless pit. It's kind of hard to feed both of them!

Beth said...

That is so funny! I got a venti iced soy chai from starbucks as a treat the other day and left it on the coffee table. Ava found it and DRANK THE WHOLE THING! I told my mom and she said, "Well, that's not going to hurt her." I told her it hurt me - I paid 4 bucks for that drink! :)

And Ava says "Mo" for "More" too :)

Mimi said...

Coffee! She's got good taste :)

Dee (www.Xanga.com/GraceatHome) said...

My Holland is just like Gianna, except she loves Parmesan cheese. She doesn't like any meat, will eat but doesn't care for pizza. Forget sauces of any kind. She will eat her veggies though.

Dulcie on the other hand loves meat. That's pretty much it. Just meat.

Planning meals around here is pretty tough at times, too. But I wouldn't trade my girls for anything and I know this is true of you!

Alice Gunther said...

LOL, drinking your whole cup of coffee! She's my kind of girl!

Cheryl M. said...

So did your coffee-lovin baby girl take a nap yesterday? :)) Give both those precious girls a hug for me! :)

Bia said...

This is me packing the boys' lunch for school: one pb&j, the other pb but no j; one mayo, the other mustard; one chocolate pudding, the other vanilla. Sometimes I think they're plotting and doing this opposite thing on purpose! On a happier note, when I cook something new the odds that there will be at least one to like it is very comforting! Then there is my toddler . . .

stephanie said...

My son has done this with my peppermint tea. I'm glad it wasn't coffee! I'm also glad my kids aren't the only ones who don't like pizza and hamburgers...they all have a taste for vinegar, though. I can't count how people we have shocked with one of our babies gumming a dill pickle.