Monday, November 19, 2007

I like quality in books, toys and games....

....I really do. So what on earth would inspire me a month ago to purchase an old cheap, plastic board game for my family?

The mere sight of it was all it took.

Do you remember this game? A highlight from my childhood (and my husband's too, as I recently discovered) involving a fascinating contraption: you turn a crank which rotates a set of gears, causing a lever to push the stop sign which hits the boot, kicking the bucket, spilling a marble down a flight of stairs and into a pipe, hitting a rod, causing the hand at the top of the rod to tip another marble into a bathtub. (Insert breath here.) The marble spirals down the bathtub drain onto a diving board, catapulting the diver through the air into a bucket, causing a cage to fall down, trapping the mouse underneath.

Too, too fun. Clever and bizarre. It's been keeping us busy after dinner around here. :)

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

How fun! Cheap and plastic board games sums up my early days too - do you remember "Life" and "Uncle Wiggly?" Those were my favorites.

nutmeg said...

Yes, we have this one too! And my kids have still never actually "played the game" but take it out only to set up the marble run...

:)

Christine the Soccer Mom said...

Oh, fun! We have this one, too! Just in case, you might want to know that you can order spare parts from the company for not-too-much money. We had a ball roll under the dishwasher, so I ordered that and a couple of other pieces that were broken early on.

Have fun catching mice!

Mimi said...

I remember it being disappointing, but I think that it teaches great things about science.

I was also the younger girl cousin of a group of boy cousins, who may have not played it properly. :)

The Bookworm said...

I had Mousetrap as a child, and my Mum still has the game. She insists it is the one from my childhood, but I'm sure it is not as it looks too new!

Cheryl said...

Eeew! I used to bag the pieces to this game when I worked the nightshift at Milton Bradley years ago. I bet my kids would love it though!

Michelle Waters said...

I totally understand! I'm on the path to purging the plastic cheap stuff too. And yet there are those things that just seem to pull you in - especially nostalgic ones!

Amy Parris said...

I loved this game when I was little.

Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle said...

Wow! I remember vividly getting Mouse Trap for Christmas when I was about seven years old! It was my favorite!

Kimberlee said...

O, Childhood! What a memory jolt - I used to play Mousetrap with my brother decades ago. Have fun!

Lisa said...

Thank you so much to christine the soccer mom who posted that you can buy replacement parts! My 7-year-old got the game for Christmas this year (for all the same reasons posted), but already his 3-year-old sister lost a key piece. Now for only $1.50 I can ensure that the peace and joy of Christmas lingers just a bit longer!