Saturday, June 2, 2007

4 New x 2 Meme

I've been reader-tagged by the sweet Amy over at Between Daydreams for this new variation on the 8 Things About Me meme which has been going around.

The revised rules: You have to share four things that were new to you in the past four years. Four things you learned or experienced or explored for the first time in the past four years. New house, new school, new hobby, new spouse, new baby, whatever. Then you have to list four new things you want to try in the next four years. Without further adieu......

Four new things in the last four years:

1. Adopting Gianna - becoming a mother for the first time, and through motherhood, loving life and my vocation like never before.

2. Adopting Madeleine and realizing that two children are much easier than one! And another huge increase in love of vocation after her birth.

3. Moving (almost) cross country three times due to my husband's work. From Michigan to California in 2003, California to Michigan in 2004, and back to California in 2005. We're now happily settled here with no plans to move out-of-state in this lifetime. :)

4. Blogging. In fact, I just realized while posting this, that today is my six-month blogiversary! How time has flown. I think I'll go back and read my first post, just for fun. This has been a wonderful way to journal life, noting the changes in my little girls and the experiences we've shared as a family, and it is a perfect avenue for keeping family and friends informed of our happenings. But I must say, I am most grateful for the beautiful friends I've made through blogging who continually inspire and help me to grow and learn and love more than I ever thought possible through such a venue.

Four desires in the next four years:

1. Begin official homeschooling and adopt a third baby.

2. Learn to sew and quilt. I have so many designs and ideas in my head, but I need to bring them into fruition. Adopt a fourth baby.

3. Get on the insulin pump. I have used injections to keep my blood sugar level since I was diagnosed with diabetes at age six. The pump is known to provide insulin flow in a way mimicking a healthy pancreas, therefore regulating glucose levels much better than injections. Don't get me wrong, I am not in the least bothered by shots. For me they are like brushing my teeth or taking a shower. But for my girls, I would like to be in the best health possible.

4. See my best friend in the flesh again. Have our children meet and play together, and watch our husbands converse over a bottle of wine and some good food while we catch up, partaking in the same fare. It has been too long.


This was a fun one. I love to ponder future possibilities. I tag anyone who reads this and has a blog. Yes, that means YOU! :)

10 comments:

Michelle Halpin said...

Touche on the misspelled word in my meme, Kristen!!! :) You have sharp eyes...I missed that last s in impress because I added that line after I spell checked...guess I'm not as perfect as I think, eh? LOL!

Phil's mom is a diabetic, too...I hope the insulin pump can become a reality for you. I can't imagine what it's like to live with diabetes...I remember you eating extra cookies before tutor dinners, and when Vera (remember Vera!? :) would show concern about your diabetes, you would smile and say you took extra insulin just for the ocassion! :) Funny memory.

Mrs Pea said...

I took the meme, Kristen. It was interesting to pause and reflect.

I don't think I've said hello yet but I've been reading your blog for a while, and with joy as I am an adoptive mummy too and of a copper-haired beauty too - although mine is a boy!

cloudscome said...

How wonderful to see all you've done in the past four years, and all you plan to do! I don't know if you knew I am also an adoptive mom - two boys. The oldest of my three boys is bio, and a red head. I am enjoying reading your blog, especially the garden posts and the lovely pictures.

Suzanne Temple said...

It has been too long, kristen. We'll figure something out.

Jamie said...

Another thing in common, I also am a diabetic, have been since I was 10! (that's 27 years!) I will not go on the pump, ever though...no time to explain, I must get to bed! Someday I do hope to meet you Kristin, I think you are wonderful! I have only met like a couple people who are type 1 diabetics, so yay!

Karen E. said...

What an interesting meme. And because you need another meme in your life, I just tagged you for a different one. :-)

Mimi said...

This is so awesome to get to know you better! What a busy 4 years.

And, I didn't know you were diabetic.

Julie said...

Happy 6 Month Blog Anniversary! I just love your blog... and your love of your vocation!

I, too, desire to learn how to sew. I haven't had a class since high school many years ago but I'm hoping to purchase a machine someday soon and try again. We also hope to one day adopt a baby too!

Kristen Laurence said...

Thank you, everyone, for visiting and for your kind comments. Each and every one of them are appreciated!

Michelle, Nancy and I used to talk all the time about our diabetes. I have not seen her in quite a while.

Jamie, how neat! I would love to know your thoughts on the pump. Do send me an email if you get a free moment.

Julie, I do hope you will be able to fulfill those dreams one day. Adoption is wonderful!

scmom said...

Kristen,
I don't know you personally, but it just doesn't seem to be in you to nag, wonderful husband or not. I think he's pretty lucky too.