Saturday, March 10, 2007

Saint Joseph Novenas

If you are planning to pray a novena to our beloved Patron of the Universal Church, of Fathers, of Families, of Labor, of a Happy Death, etc. - today or tomorrow would be the day to begin (depending on whether you like your novenas to end on the feast day or the day before).

In the words of Saint Teresa of Avila in her plea for the faithful to pray to our Holy Patriarch:

"Would that I could persuade all men to be devoted to this glorious Saint, for I know by long experience what blessings he can obtain for us from God. I have never known anyone who was truly devoted to him and honored him by particular services who did not advance greatly in virtue: for he helps in a special way those souls who commend themselves to him. It is now very many years since I began asking him for something on his feast, and I have always received it. If the petition was in any way amiss, he rectified it for my greater good....I ask for the love of God that he who does not believe me will make the trial for himself - then he will find out by experience the great good that results form commending oneself to this glorious Patriarch and in being devoted to him..." --Autobiography, VI, 11-12

One of my favorite prayers to Saint Joseph is this particular novena, which beautifully meditates on the seven sorrows and seven joys in his life with Mary and Jesus. You can also find a variety of beautiful novenas to our beloved patron here. I will have a short novena prayer to St. Joseph on my sidebar beginning today until his Solemnity on March 19th.

Saint Joseph, Foster Father of Jesus, pray for us!+++

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Thank you! I will begin this novena today. What a blessing.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this information and for reminding me of the many ways I can pray. This has come at exactly the time that I need it, not only for a special intention, but to just add to my own spiritual growth and desire for more forms of prayer.

Michelle Halpin said...

Thanks, Kristen...perfectly timed, for we need our house to sell soon! :)

Kristen Laurence said...

Anon 1 and Anon 2, I'm so happy you stopped by and found something good here! May our dear St. Joseph grant your petitions!

Michelle, I had no idea you were moving. I hope you'll email me and tell me all about it!

Michelle Halpin said...

Not too much to tell...we moved to CA from VA to be closer to Phil's extended family. But we couldn't afford to live anywhere but Lancaster, which is an hour and a half away from both sets of family in Pasadena and Tehachapi, so the whole thing really isn't working out as we hoped. Phil's parents aren't in great health, either, so they haven't been able to help out so much, and are too far to make frequent trips. My health continues to be middling, and we just need more day to day help. So we're going back to Memphis, where I'm from, and where my dad and sister live. Who wants to stay in the desert if they don't have to? LOL! Phil's parents are heartbroken, but it will be a good move for our family.

It's a good financial move, too, since we can sell here at such an inflated price and buy much more house in Tn. But the house is still on the market, and we're trying to be patient. Sorry to hijack your comments with my story, but you asked! :)

If you know anyone who is looking for a lovely 4bed/2bath with a huge yard, covered porch, and tons of rosebushes, direct them up here! :) We're leaving the swingset, too!