Tuesday, January 2, 2007

A New Beginning

A happy new year to all! We welcomed our 2007 enjoying fun, food, faith, friends and family in the town where my husband grew up, which also happens to be the city where we married and lived our first four years together as a couple. The weekend provided many fond memories of early married life, but I have to say, experiencing it all over again with our girls was so much richer!


We attended mass on the Feast of the Mother of God at the church in Pasadena where we exchanged our vows,

....and took the girls to the beautiful Parade of Roses. It was a gorgeous morning, which indicates another increase in southern California population. (It is a known fact that when visitors come to Pasadena for the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl on the first of the month, many resolve to relocate permanently.)

The floats truly are spectacular. The entire surface of each float must be covered using a variety of flowers, seeds, bark, leaves and other natural materials.


Now that we're home, it's time to get back to the routine. The house is a mess, the regrigerator is empty, the laundry undone, and we're hosting guests tomorrow. Until then, we hope you continue to enjoy a merry Christmas! (I don't want to see it end!)

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

That church is gorgeous. It sounds like you had a wonderful start to the new year.

Michelle Halpin said...

How fun to take the girls to the parade! We considered going, since Phil's parents live right near the end of the route, and they can just walk a bit to a spot right before the end of the parade and see the whole thing. But we didn't go at the last minute. Maybe next year!

Suzanne Temple said...

Beautiful floats! Happy New Year!

Margaret in Minnesota said...

I don't want to see it end, either! A blessed New Year to you also, Kristen!

Jane Ramsey said...

Sounds like a beautiful way to spend New Year's! And what a gorgeous Church.
(I don't want Christmas to end, either! Although the tree is quite dried out and about half the ornaments have been pulled off by eager little hands!)

Ouiz said...

Good to know I'm not the only one with our tree still up! (and laundry to do... and a house to clean... you get the picture). Everyone down here follows the Southern tradition of "everything down before the New Year," so our family is left all alone saying, "um... guys... it's still Christmas!"

oh well.

I wanted to thank you particularly for the description you have of yourself on your profile. The Lord used that to comfort me today, so THANK YOU and GOD BLESS!

Kristen Laurence said...

Thank you for visiting, everyone, and for your comments. (Could you tell that I was trying to encourage you to come to CA in this post??) We have not taken down ANY of our christmas decorations yet either.

Ouiz, your comment means so much to me. I'm not sure how my profile has helped, but just knowing that it has truly gives me joy. Thank you.

Ouiz said...

I'll have to write a post about it, but in a nutshell, I was just really anxious and fearful today. As I sat down at the computer, your profile was the first thing I saw, which said that your goal was to "spend my days counting my blessings and enjoying the benefits of this life, while striving to prepare as much as possible for the next."

It was at that moment that it's like the Lord just said, "Relax. Trust Me. Look at all the blessings I've given you. It's OK to enjoy life -- really!"

Hard to explain, I suppose (you'd have to be me!) but He used you to really bless me today... so thank you!!

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

How beautiful is that Church! And what a grand time to see the floats!

God Bless you and yours!

May 2007 hold very special blessings for you!

A. Noël said...

Hello - I followed links from Minnesota Mom and Recovering Dissident Catholic to get here. When I saw the church photo I just had to say "hi" - I was baptized in that church 35 years ago, as a teenager. It is a special place to me.

Best wishes for 2007 to you and yours.